There are a number of reasons employee safety is considered very important in workplaces. The most striking reason is employees spend considerable time at their workplaces.
The encouraging news is ISO or the International Standardization Organization has introduced the OHSAS or Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems 18001 so offices, godowns and factories can put in place safety measures for safeguarding employees’ lives. The safety measures of this system will particularly benefit those who work in large industries and who are exposed to hazardous materials and various other types of occupational hazards.
Employees should also respond suitably to the measures of the system for which employers are providing OHSAS 18001 training to them. In fact, employers who have opted to introduce OHSAS system in their workplaces are putting in place measures to protect the health and safety of the family members of employees also. The system is for safeguarding the health and safety of customers and suppliers as well.
The following are a few facts about OHSAS 18001 training.
1. In small organizations, it is enough to have an Occupational Health and Safety Officer. But in bigger companies, there should be a team for handling OH&S. The team should consist of a safety professional, a hygiene specialist who can handle occupational hazards competently, a physician who is also trained in treating health issues that may arise due to occupational hazards and a specialist for organizing things properly. Apart from designing various regulations relevant to 18001, the team will keep monitoring the safety measures and guiding the employees for following the measures as per OHSAS 18001 standards.
2. The officer or the team will design and create forms pertaining to the safety programs. They will also monitor the outcomes of the program implementation. They will continuously be providing training in OHSAS 18001 throughout the organization and preparing safety reports on a regular basis. In short, the officer or the team will be executing and maintaining the safety measures so meticulously that there will be no let-up at all. This will make the organization worthy of obtaining the OHSAS 18001 certification.
3. Contrary to the popular belief, OHSAS 18001 certification is easy to obtain. Once the initial audit is conducted, the organization has to incorporate the changes pointed out into the company’s working system and ensure to maintain them.
4. Companies need not fear that the changes suggested will be difficult to implement. In fact, they will be basic changes that can enhance the safety quotient in their organizations. Companies will do well by involving every employee in these safety measures. That is why OHSAS 18001 training is important.
5. If organizations hold safety drills periodically as a part of the OHSAS 18001 training, they will help employees remember the safety measures as stipulated in the system.